China Media Observatory (CMO) was established in 2006 to increase the academic knowledge of Chinese politics, economics, and culture in the field of media and communication studies. For more than 10 years, CMO has been one of the few European centers dealing with this field of study. CMO has mainly focused on:
- Scientific Research
- Promoting the scientific exchange of knowledge with Chinese Universities
- Developing specific research projects, mainly in cooperation with Chinese and European universities
- Presenting scientific outcomes in the most important European and Global conferences of media and communication studies, such as IAMCR, ICA, ECREA, the Chinese Communication Association, the Chinese Internet Research Conference, and the China Media History Association
- Publishing updated research on the Chinese media system thanks to financed research projects and PhD dissertations
- Academic Teaching
- Creating and teaching specific courses on Chinese media to Western students at USI and other European Universities
- Teaching specific courses on the European media system to Chinese students
- Organizing and teaching modules at different summer schools, some of them organized and co-organized by CMO
- Service to USI and to the national and international community
- Representing a hubor Chinese media studies and for professors, students, and Chinese delegates visiting USI. Specifically, CMO has promoted the exchange of scholars and has given assistance to PhDs and Post-Docs willing to spend a period of time doing research at USI thanks to the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars.
- At the national level, enhancing the scientific cooperation between Switzerland and China through specific frames and cooperation agreements such as the Sino-Swiss Science and Technology Cooperation (SSSTC) and others
- Providing updated government reports and scientific publications on Chinese media to the international community. CMO also aims to be a documentation center, collecting documents provided by Chinese public institutions, governmental agencies, and the most important Chinese universities and research centers. At the present stage, the CMO documentation center hosts more than 200 official documents in English and Chinese.
In terms of academic research, CMO has been monitoring the most important developments of the Chinese media system with a particular focus on the press, the audiovisual industry (particularly the television and movie industries), and digital media. More specifically, the main research fields covered by CMO scholars and researchers are:
- The political economy of communication in China – The evolution of strategic processes of the Chinese government related to the media market; regulation of the media system; Chinese market structure; import-export exchanges, and in more general terms, the relationships between media companies, government, and society.
- Cultural studies and the Chinese media – The use of digital media in China with specific focus on the Internet; cultural receptions of big media events held in China, such as the Olympics; the cultural image of China in Western countries; and relations with media.
- Chinese media history – The development of Chinese media in the 19th, 20th and early 21st centuries; the historical role of China at the transnational level, with a specific focus on its position within international organizations regulating the media; the mutual shaping of Chinese and Western media in the long perspective.
- Chinese intercultural communication – The analysis of intercultural and transnational narratives on Chinese media from a global perspective, with a particular focus on Chinese soft power
CMO has been establishing productive cooperation with some of the most important Chinese universities such as the Communication University of China (CUC), the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Peking University, Tsinghua University, and many others. These collaborations brought joint research projects, mutual visits, and the exchange of scholars, to the organization of summer schools.
The present strucutre of CMO is:
- Prof. Gabriele Balbi (Director)
- Prof. Giuseppe Richeri (Honorary President)
- Dr. Gianluigi Negro (Post-Doc)
- Yuan Miaotong (Ph.D. Candidate)
- Dr. Zhan Zhang (Research fellow - Post-Doc)
- 为科研成果提供欧洲至全球的展示与发表平台，学会与组织包括国际传媒与传播研究学会年会IAMCR, 国际传媒学会ICA, 欧洲传媒与教育协会ECREA, 中国传播协会 Chinese Communication Association, 中国互联网研究大会 Chinese Internet Research Conference, 以及中国媒体历史学会China Media History Association。
- 代表性的中国媒体研究平台，同时接待访问卢加诺大学的教授，学生和中国代表团。 中国传媒观察中心促进学者的交流，并为获得瑞士政府优秀优秀奖学金的外国学者提供帮助，为其提供在卢加诺大学进行一段时间博士或博士后研究的机会。
- 在国内范畴，加强瑞士与中国之间特定框架下的科研合作，如Sino-Swiss Science and Technology Cooperation (SSSTC) 以及其他项目。
- 中国传媒政治经济学 – 中国政府与媒体市场的改革发展; 媒体系统的管理; 中国市场架构; 进出口业务以及更广泛的, 中国政府与媒体和社会的关系。
- 中国媒体和文化研究 – 数字媒体在中国的应用，主要关注互联网研究; 中国大型媒体事件的文化研究，如奥运会研究; 中国在外国的媒体形象与媒体关系研究。
- 中国传媒历史 – 19世纪，20世纪到21世纪中国传媒的发展; 在媒体发展进程中，中国在国际组织中的历史地位; 长期以来中国与外国传媒的互相塑造.。
- 中国的跨文化交流 –从全球角度分析中国媒体的跨文化交流和跨国叙述，特别是中国软实力研究。
• Gabriele Balbi教授 (主任)
• Giuseppe Richeri里盖利教授 (名誉主席)
• Gianluigi Negro 章路博士 (博士后)
•Yuan Miaotong 袁邈桐博士
• Zhan Zhang 张展博士 (博士后)
Questa lezione introdurrà gli studenti alla produzione artistica e all’attivismo transmediale dell’artista cinese Ai Weiwei, soffermandosi in particolare sulle sue recenti attività volte a sensibilizzare l’opinione pubblica nei confronti... Read more
La vignetta satirica (cartoon, 漫画 manhua) d’argomento primariamente socio-politico nasce in Cina nel tardo XIX secolo. La storia di questi particolari testi “multimodali”, accattivanti e facilmente adattabili a diversi scopi comunicativi, è fin... Read more
La lezione pubblica affronterà da una prospettiva storica lo sviluppo della radio e della televisione in Cina, e in particolare il ruolo di queste tecnologie di comunicazione di massa nelle trasformazioni politiche, socio-culturali ed economiche... Read more
La lezione pubblica affronterà da una prospettiva storica lo sviluppo della stampa in Cina dall'Ottocento ad oggi offrendo una panoramica su alcuni episodi chiave della storia cinese, dalle guerre dell'oppio fino all'ingresso nell'Organizzazione... Read more
After the successful experience in the past three years, the China Media Observatory of Università della Svizzera Italiana (USI) in cooperation with School of Journalism and Communication of Peking University, will operate the FOURTH edition of... Read more