China Media Observatory (CMO) was established in 2006 to increase the academic knowledge of Chinese politics, economics, and culture in the field of media and communication studies. For more than 10 years, CMO has been one of the few European centers dealing with this field of study. CMO has mainly focused on:
- Scientific Research
- Promoting the scientific exchange of knowledge with Chinese Universities;
- Developing specific research projects, mainly in cooperation with Chinese and European universities;
- Presenting scientific outcomes in the most important European and international conferences in media and communication studies;
- Publishing updated research on Chinese media system, Chinese media companies and the growing Chinese presence in Europe with interdisciplinary approach.
- Academic Teaching
- Creating and Teaching specific courses on Chinese media system, Chinese strategic management and East-to-West intercultural communicaction to students at USI and other European Universities;
- Creating and Teaching specific courses on European media system, media history, and new trend in international media studies to Chinese students;
- Organizing and teaching modules at different summer schools, study tours that are organized and co-organized by CMO.
- Service to USI and to the national and international community
- Representing a exchange platform for European scholars on Chinese media and culture studies and for Chinese scholars on European or international media studies. Specifically, CMO has promoted and supported the exchange of PhDs and Post-Docs thanks to the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships and Sino-Swiss Science and Technology Cooperation (SSSTC) scholarships;
- Promoting exchange-programme for Bachelor and Master students at USI to study in China and students from Chinese partner Universities to study in Switzerland.
- Enhancing scientific cooperation between Switzerland and China through specific frames and cooperation agreements at the national level, organizing conferences and events in Switzerland for scientific and culture exchange with China
- Publishing updated scientific papers, edited journal issues and reports on Chinese media to the international community.
- Collecting documents, industry reports and publications from Chinese public institutions, governmental agencies, Chinese universities and research centers. (at the present stage, the CMO documentation center hosts more than 200 official documents in English and Chinese)
The list of research fields by CMO scholars and researchers:
- The political economy of communication in China – The evolution of strategic processes of the Chinese government related to the media market; regulation of the media system; Chinese market structure; import-export exchanges, and in more general terms, the relationships between media companies, government, and society.
- Digital media in China – The rise of internet and social media in China, the development and controversy of Chinese media technology companies.
- Chinese media history – The development of Chinese media in the 19th, 20th and early 21st centuries; the historical role of China at the transnational level, with a specific focus on its position within international organizations regulating the media; the mutual shaping of Chinese and Western media in the long perspective.
- Media analysis, strategic communication and intercultural communication– The media representation of Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) in Europe, the cultural image of China in Western countries; analysis of intercultural and transnational narratives on Chinese media from a global perspective, China's soft power in Europe.
The list of Chinese universities that have an existing cooperation or ongoing projects with CMO:
- Communication University of China
- Peking University
- Tsinghua University
- Shenzhen University
- Chongqing University
- 促进中欧之间的学者交流，为研究中国传媒及文化的欧洲学者以及研究欧洲传媒或国际传播的中国学者提供平台，指导与服务。尤其为欧洲与中国高校的在读博士生与博士后研究人员提供在瑞士卢加诺深造的机会（推荐Swiss Excellence瑞士政府优秀学者奖学金以及中瑞科学技术合作项目奖学金等项目的申请与接待）；
- 中国传媒政治经济学 – 中国传媒市场的变革发展; 传媒监管与政府关系，中国市场架构以及传媒产业进出口业务以及更广泛的关于中国政府，媒体和社会的关系；
- 中国数字媒体发展 – 互联网以及社交媒体在中国的应用，中国传媒科技公司的发展以及困境；
- 中国传媒历史 – 19世纪，20世纪到21世纪中国传媒的发展; 尤其关注在此发展进程中中国在国际组织中的历史地位，以及长期以来中国与西方传媒产业间的互相借鉴；
- 媒介内容分析，战略传播及跨文化交流 –欧洲媒体关于中国一带一路的呈现，西方国家的中国形象演变，从全球角度分析中国媒体的跨文化交流和跨国叙述，中国软实力在欧洲。
• Gabriele Balbi教授 (主任)
• Giuseppe Richeri里盖利教授 (名誉主席)
• Zhan Zhang 张展博士 (研究员, 项目主管)
• Gianluigi Negro 章路博士 (客座研究员)
The Trajectory of Emerging Media & Technology Companies: Transnational Businesses, Transcultural Communications Communication History section & International and Intercultural communication section Date: 19/10/2022 Venue... Read more
CMO Special Symposium: Exploring flows and counter-flows of information along the New Silk Road Based on the ECREA pre-conference CMO organized in October 2018, a special issue is then coedited by CMO researchers for the Journal of... Read more
China Media Observatory of Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) and School of Media & Communication of Shenzhen University co-organized the Workshop on “Innovative Methods and Transcultural Elements in European Master Education of Media... Read more
China Media Observatory of Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) and Meishi Film Academy of Chongqing University organized together a Spring School for students at Meishi Film Academy of Chongqing University to visit at USI between May 30 and... Read more
In Fall 2018 Dr. Zhan Zhang and Dr Gianluigi Negero had an academic trip in China in order to present their last publications and to promote the new edition of the Master in Media Managment as well as other academic programmes the Institute of... Read more